My name is Matthew Bryan, and I am the principal at Henry Defer Intermediate School. I am thrilled to be a part of the Streetsboro City School District and the Streetsboro community. I hope that this message finds everyone well, and that you had a fun and relaxing summer break!
As always, summer break is over with before we know it. As we begin to transition to the new school year, there is a lot of information that will be coming in the mail and home with your student(s).
For up-to-date information regarding school happenings, you can always check my principal’s message on this webpage as well as my personal Twitter feed @MBryanSCS and @HenryDefer.
You should be receiving your parent welcome back to school letter in the mail in the near future. If you do not receive this information, please reach out to me directly or to Mrs. Paugh, building secretary. Please make sure that you are aware of the information contained in the letter because it covers important information about dates and events of the new school year, as well as logistical procedures for arrival and dismissal from the building.
Before I talk about the upcoming school year, below is a detailed list of upcoming events for Defer and for the district:
- 8/17/18- Defer Student Class List Posted outside Office
- 8/19/18- Ice Cream Social at old Middle School field 2-4 PM
- 8/20/18- 6:00PM-7:00PM: Defer Open House
- 8/22/18- 1st day of school for Defer students.
- 9/3/18- Labor Day: No School.
Arrival and Dismissal
Arrival times have not changed from last year. Please note, there will be no supervision for students who are dropped off before 8:20 AM.
- 8:20 – 8:34 is breakfast time for our students. Students who are not eating breakfast may enter the building at this time and go directly to class. If a student decides not to get breakfast and heads straight to class, they will not be able to go back to the cafeteria. Additional morning information regarding band logistics will be TBD at a later date.
- 8:35 students must be in their class. Any student who arrives after this time will be marked as tardy.
- 3:05 begins dismissal time. Please do not pick your student up until this time unless it is a prearranged absence or an emergency.
Being Part of Defer
If you are interested in being a part of Defer in any capacity, please let us know! We will be providing additional information soon about opportunities for parents/families to be involved at our school!
We look forward to continuing the many successes that we had last year as we head into this year. If at any time you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. The Defer staff look forward to seeing you all back in a few short weeks! Enjoy the last weeks of summer break!