Good afternoon and welcome to the start of another school year. Can you believe the school year begins in just a few short weeks? I am always amazed at how quickly our summer recess flies by each year.
This summer seemed rather short to me. I certainly hope everyone had the opportunity to relax and recharge after such a challenging 2020-21 school year. I am personally looking forward to a much more “normal” school year this year.
As we approach the end of summer break, there has been a significant amount of guidance released in reference to COVID-19, the Delta Variant and how to keep our students and staff safe.
While our policies will likely evolve as they did last year, please take a moment to read the Streetsboro City Schools Safe Return to School and Continuity of Services 2021-2022 found on our website. Here is a quick summary of some of the safety practices as they stand now.
Please know these could change at any time based on the status of the pandemic and conditions in our schools/community.
- Masking – At this time masking will be optional for all students and staff. However, masks are highly recommended for those who are not vaccinated or who may have vulnerable family members at home. Additionally, we are still encouraging students and staff to stay home and wear a mask when you are not feeling well. Under federal law, masks MUST be worn at all times on school transportation regardless of vaccination status.
- Distancing – We will continue to try and keep students 3 feet apart when possible.
- Quarantine – Any student or staff who tests COVID positive will have to quarantine for 10 days. Those identified as close contacts will be notified. At this time, the quarantining of close contacts is NOT REQUIRED. However, we recommend those close contacts who are not vaccinated, to quarantine. If the unvaccinated close contact has a negative COVID test after day five, they can return to school two days later (on day 7).
- Cleaning – We will continue to be vigilant with our cleaning protocols including encouraging students and staff to frequently wash their hands and use hand sanitizer. Water fountains will remain closed and water bottle filling stations will be available for students and staff.
- COVID Test Kits – COVID test kits will continue to be available for students and staff and are located at the board office.
Additionally, we would like you to complete this voluntary and anonymous survey. The intent of this survey is to help us better understand the levels of COVID-19 immunity among our students moving into this school year. It should take no more than 5 minutes per child to complete.
Again, this is an anonymous survey. The CDC highly recommends that all eligible people get the full vaccination as soon as possible. This will be the single most important thing we can do to help our students and staff have a more “normal” school year.
Lastly, open house dates have been established and are located on our website. The purpose of the open houses in each building is to help you and your child become familiar with their new surroundings.
Your involvement in your child’s school experience sends an important message that school is important. Please plan to attend the open house with your child.
- Streetsboro Elementary – Tuesday, August 17th (5:00 – 6:00 PM)
- Henry Defer Intermediate – Monday, August 16th (4th grade – 5:00 – 6:00 PM, 5th grade – 6:00 -7:00 PM) This new date is a change from previous announcements you may have read!
- Streetsboro Middle – Tuesday, August 17th (4:00 – 5:00 PM)
- Streetsboro High – Wednesday, August 25th (6:00 – 7:00 PM)
Our administration and building secretaries return to school beginning next week so if you have any questions, feel free to contact your child’s school.
We are very excited for the upcoming school year and by working together, we can make this school year the best yet for our students. Have a great weekend and we look forward to seeing everyone soon.