STREETSBORO | 19 OCT 2022
The Technology Department at Streetsboro City Schools manages all devices in the district, including the repair of student Chromebooks.
When a screen is damaged, or a keyboard needs to be replaced, we perform 99% of the work in-house for minimal cost. When there is a cost associated with the repair, we ask that students and their parents are mindful of their balance in eSchool / HAC, and pay the fees promptly.
The district does not charge for the repair itself, just the parts or when a total replacement is needed.
Here’s a typical workflow when a device needs to be repaired or replaced completely:
- The student drops off their device for repair in their school building’s media center or front office and picks up a loaner device so they can continue with school work.
- The Technology Department retrieves the device, and repairs it, often with parts already in stock, and returns it to the building.
- In the case of a replacement part needed (typically screens), we charge the cost to the student’s eSchool account / PaySchools. The Technology Department will send a message to the parent emails for each repair requiring a fee to let you know it’s been posted to the eSchool account.
- The student picks the device back up and returns the loaner.
All charges for repairs are the responsibility of the parents and students.
The repair fees are in addition to the $50 Technology Fee that assists with overall program management and refreshment cycles.
We see a lot of damage to screens from horseplay or not being careful when moving the device, instead grabbing it by the screen or top cover. Touchpads, too, seem to take a beating.
Our recommendation is to only move the Chromebook with the lid closed. Storing the device in its sleeve or protective bag is another great alternative to keeping the device safe.
In the case of needing total replacement, where a device has been damaged beyond repair, we charge the full replacement cost ($250) for a device before issuing a new device.
Here are typical repair costs for the major models of devices we have and have serviced over the past few years:
- Screen Replacement: $30-$40
- Keyboard with Touchpad: $40-$70
- Top Cover: $20-$30
- Touchpad: $20-$30
- Camera: $10-$30
An item that seems to go missing a lot is the power brick, and the entire power brick and charging cable assembly. There are plenty of replacements available online for low cost, and we highly recommend you replace or get an extra if needed from these sources:
If you want to label the charging brick (original or replacement), please feel free to do so.
If you have any questions about the 1:1 program at Streetsboro, or the repair costs, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: October 19, 2022 at 12:26 pm